Saturday, January 15, 2011

"What The French Toast!?"

So here it is! French toast souffle! I first tasted this deliciousness thanks to my wonderful cousin Gayle during this years family break the fast of Yom Kippur gathering. my brother and I exchanged raised eyebrows and big as saucer eyes as we both dove in, and then immediately asked if she would share her recipe. It. is. SO. good, and it's so pretty! look at those layers!


French Toast Souffle Recipe

From Gayle Elias



2 Cups Brown Sugar

1 Cup Butter
2 teaspoons Cinnamon
18 slices or 2 loaves plain Challah (you can also use white bread if need be in a pinch, I did on account of wanting to make this in a blizzard for my roommate and I)
3 Cups Milk
6 Eggs
½ Cup Sugar
2 teaspoons Vanilla

In a medium bowl, melt butter, then add brown sugar and cinnamon.
In a large bowl, beat eggs, then add regular sugar, vanilla and milk.
In a 9x13 pan with nonstick spray, layer bread, glaze (with brown sugar mixture), add another layer of bread, glaze, (maybe 3 layers).
Pour egg mixture on TOP of bread.  I do all of the above the night before I want to serve this, cover it, and keep it in the refrigerator overnight.  
In the morning, take out of the refrigerator and bake it uncovered at 350 degrees for a total of about 1 Hour 15 minutes.  After about 45 minutes, I loosely tent tin foil over the Pyrex dish to prevent overbrowning.

I highly reccomend serving with a tall glass of milk to temper the sweetness! Enjoy!

stay tuned next week for a post birthday treat related post ( I'm celebrating on Monday)

Peace, Love, and Sugar

Jamie





No comments:

Post a Comment